[buildd-tools-devel] re buildd's resolver and package's build deps

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Feb 23 10:27:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:45:06AM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:40:52PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > From discussion on IRC earlier this evening, it looks like the most
> > pragmatic approach will be to get the apt and aptitude sbuild
> > resolvers to strip the alternatives (after arch reduction), which
> > will make them behave pretty much exactly like the old internal
> > resolver, but without its bugs.  This will leave maintainers free to
> > use alternative dependencies, but like now they will be ignored.
> > What we can do though, is make the use of alternatives configurable
> > in sbuild, so you will be able to make use of them when building for
> > other suites e.g. backports.  This will disable the stripping.
>
> I find this acceptable[0].  Thanks for driving this.
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern
>
> [0] I didn't agree with the earlier suggestion of telling people to stop
>     the use of alternatives instead of using predictable behaviour on
>     the resolver side but tried to stay out of the thread.

Hi, and apologies in advance if this is a stupid question or if it has
already been discussed :)

Is it possible that this should lead to problems with further levels of
package dependencies?  E.g. something like that for two packages:

foo/control:
Depends: bar-dev, libdb-dev | libdb4.7-dev

bar-dev/control:
Depends: libdb4.7-dev

I realize that this is a somewhat contrived case, but still... wouldn't
it break, or would that be considered a bug in the packages'
dependencies?  If the latter, well, wouldn't this leave the maintainer
of foo a bit vulnerable against random decisions by the maintainers of
bar-dev?

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org peter at packetscale.com
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.