[buildd-tools-devel] dpkg-buildflags: add some no-effect flags

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Tue Jun 7 16:30:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 01:36:44PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
>
> > There is more than a handful of packages which do not care about
> > dpkg-buildflags yet in debian/rules.  Currently it's difficult to
> > tell if a package build honors dpkg-buildflags or not.  The only way
> > to do this currently is to edit the config files for a test rebuild.
> >
> > The idea is to add some flags which do not have any effect on the
> > package build, and then look at the build log if these flags are
> > passed to the build.
> >
> > Such flags could be for
> >
> >  - CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, FFLAGS: -D__BUILDD_<random-string>__
> >  - LDFLAGS: -z buildd-<random-string> (gold would need a patch for this)
>
> Neat idea.  Would it be possible to set this up as configuration on
> buildds so people don't get the strange idea that this is a standard
> dpkg feature they can rely on?  (Cc-ing the buildd-tools developers as
> a random guess for who could set this up.)

There's no reason why we can't add such a feature to sbuild.  We
could add a build environment hash to allow specific environment
variables to be set when running dpkg-buildpackage (if this is
what you're asking for?).

Given that this looks most useful for one-off checks rather than
being used by default for all builds, we would probably default it
to being empty.

Would you want a global configuration change, or per-distribution?

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh