[buildd-tools-devel] dpkg-buildflags: add some no-effect flags

Jonathan Nieder jrnieder at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:42:32 UTC 2011

Roger Leigh wrote:

> There's no reason why we can't add such a feature to sbuild.  We
> could add a build environment hash to allow specific environment
> variables to be set when running dpkg-buildpackage (if this is
> what you're asking for?).

That also sounds very interesting.  I actually meant populating a
/etc/dpkg/buildflags.conf, though buildd-tools-devel was probably the
wrong set of people to ask about that.  I thought of b-t-d because
maintaining sbuild-createchroot(8) might involve familiarity with
these things; since most buildds have the chroot already set up iiuc
Raphaël's suggestion of contacting debian-wb-team was likely more
appropriate for that purpose.

> Given that this looks most useful for one-off checks rather than
> being used by default for all builds, we would probably default it
> to being empty.

The ability for sbuild to set environment variables for the
build sounds quite handy.  I suppose pbuilder would have to learn
such a feature separately, too.

> Would you want a global configuration change, or per-distribution?

For my own purposes global would be handiest.  Matthias might or
might not have other ideas.

Thanks, that clarified things somewhat.