[buildd-tools-devel] The future of an SCC that has been given up on

Finn Thain fthain at telegraphics.com.au
Sun May 27 06:47:08 UTC 2012

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> But CF was touted as the way out in relation to the 'you can still buy
> the hardware' rule. Efforts were underway to unify the CF user space and
> Debian. I might have misunderstood though.

All that work designing and maintaining a hybrid ABI, just to achieve
release status? That is, in order to release an archive of slow,
compromised binaries?

Yet you can buy new FPGA hardware and run a soft-core 68020! That kind of
new hardware is easy to find.

If new CF hardware was common, and justified release-architecture status,
there would be real demand for an archive of un-compromised, CF-native
packages (instead of compromised hybrid binaries).

So the hybrid approach is a long term prospect if and only if CF never
becomes common enough to justify a CF-native port. In other words, the
hybrid strategy bets against CF -- whilst simultaneously claiming CF
hardware justifies release-arch status!?

> As Geert has mentioned, X lacks support for the Atari abd Amiga frame
> buffer data formats. While I think X could be built (sorting out the
> correct build order of all pieces up front) I doubt it will be useful
> before the frame buffer support has been readded.

It used to work on Macs (up to etch-m68k at least).

Finn