[buildd-tools-devel] schroot now using gtest

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Sep 8 20:41:48 UTC 2013

schroot 1.7.1 (schroot.git master) is now using gtest (Google Test),
in place of the older CppUnit test framework used to date.

Instructions for how to build with gtest are in the README, and
also in debian/rules.  It's a little more effort than using CppUnit
(you need to build gtest), but it's also optional--you don't have
to build the tests.

I've been using gtest quite a bit at work recently; it's a lot more
powerful, flexible, and easier to use than CppUnit, and CppUnit is
unfortunately unmaintained.  For these reasons, I felt that moving
to a more modern test framework was worth the effort.  I've spent a
day converting all the CppUnit unit tests to using gtest.  The
actual tests are unchanged, and in most cases continue to use the
existing text fixtures (just renamed).  It will definitely ease the
maintenance burden of writing new tests and updating older tests,
and when debugging, the test output is a lot more informative and
helpful (and also colourful!)

Regards,
Roger

--