[Debian-zh-dev] scim-chinese, "/Panel/Gtk/Font = STKaiti 28" only sets one font, characters still small

Ming Hua minghua@rice.edu
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:50:43 -0500

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:15:54PM +0800, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hi Sebastian,

> I am an almost happy user of scim and the scim-chinese packages. Because I
> just learn Chinese, I would appreciate a larger font size for the displayed
> characters. I have been unable to find a setting to increase the font size.
>
> Using scim-setup and also editing the .scim/config file I found the GTK
> panel font size. Increasing it does only increase the text shown below the
> application window where it reads "Smart Pinyin", but the characters are
> still small.
>
> Is there an easy way to increase the font size?

The scim-setup program just modify the .scim/config file, so you need
only to choose one, and I suggest scim-setup, since it knows all the
correct grammar.

I am somehow confused about what you are trying to do.  Setting Panel ->
GTK -> Misc -> Font here changes the preedit window -- the place you see
the pinyin you inputed and the character candidates.  And there is no
``Smart Pinyin'' shown there.  On the other hand, the panel window --
the place you can switch you input method, press help or setup button --
didn't change fonts.  And acoording to James Su, the upstream author,
the fonts of gtk panel honors the font setting of gtk, so if you want to
change that, in GNOME you can go to Applications -> Desktop Preferences
-> Font, and change the ``Application Font'' in the dialog.  Would you
please elaborate of which window you want to change the font?

One thing you may already know, but worth mentioning, is that scim 0.9.7
won't autoload the settings after you changed it.  You need to exit scim
and scim-gtk-panel (the easy way is just exit you X window, or you can
kill the processes by hand) to have the new settings effective.  The new
scim (0.99.0 now, actually 1.0-pre) has a new feature to reload the
settings.

Most of the things here I knew from a thread on scim mailing list:
    http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/scim/2004-June/000168.html
You may find it helpful as well.

Hope this helps,
Ming
2004.06.24

Wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand.  The ordinary telegraph
is like a very long cat.  You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in
Los Angeles.  The wireless is the same, only without the cat.
                                                       --- Albert Einstein