[Debian-zh-dev] where can I find APT's CVS source?

Ming Hua minghua@rice.edu
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:41:37 -0600

Hi Tchaikov,

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 05:12:45PM +0800, Save.Tchai wrote:
> I got the pot file of APT via "apt-get source apt", and only to
> find the file seems wrong (BTS#237892).

That shouldn't work.  Everything you get from "apt-get source" should be
the released version (stable, testing, or unstable; depends on your
/etc/apt/sources.list), so it's usually always outdated.

> I just wanna follow the maintainer(?)'s instruction:
> >Translators should work from CVS preferably; the pot and po
> >files in CVS are
> >up to date.
> but failed to find the CVS repository for APT.
>
> btw. I've searched it in http://alioth.debian.org/ before this posting.

I'll tell the steps I took to find it, just to help someone that may be
in similar situations:

1. If you don't know that apt has a mailing list for itself, the package
list page (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/apt, in the "APT
Development Team" mailto: link, or "developer information for apt" link)
should direct you there:
    http://lists.debian.org/deity/

2. In the archives of deity mailing list, I found the following helpful
message:
    http://lists.debian.org/deity/2004/deity-200403/msg00182.html

3. And it leads me to
    http://cvs.debian.org/
Use the pull-down menu to choose deity, and you should be able to see
the apt CVS archive.  According to the instruction on the webpage, the
anonymous checking out command should be:
    $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/deity checkout apt
and the password is empty (just press Enter).  However I didn't test it,
I suppose you know CVS good enough to figure things out.  Also, you can
just use the ViewCVS web interface to download the POT or PO file.  If
you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

4. Since you don't have write access to cvs.debian.org CVS (I remember
it's for DD only), I think the only way to fix it is submitting a
translation patch.

Also, I found Christian Perrier's message about this issue:
    http://lists.debian.org/deity/2004/deity-200403/msg00181.html
I think it also helps (with a URL to see the PO files).

Hope this helps, and thanks for your work for Debian!

Cheers,
Ming
2004.03.15

We used to think that if we know one, we know two, because one and one are
two.  We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about ``and''.
                                                  --- Sir Arthur Eddington