[Debian-zh-dev] ITA: galternatives -- graphical setup tool for the alternatives system

Boyuan Yang 073plan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 07:11:57 UTC 2017

Control: retitle -1 ITA: galternatives -- graphical setup tool for the
alternatives system
Control: owner 856289 !

I intend to adopt the galternatives package and set it as co-maintained inside
Debian Chinese Team [1] since several Chinese contributors expressed
willingness to help with the development of this package inside IRC channel.

I am aware of the existence of "galternatives" project on Alioth [2]. However
this project is apparently inactive and the project manager (in CC list) is no
longer the (current) maintainer of galternatives package. As a result, I am
setting up another git project in collab-maint [3] to coordinate future
development.

To ease the participation of contributors who have no permission on Alioth,
another repo mirror on GitHub [4] is set up as well to receive commits from
external users.

Development plans for future galternatives includes (but not limited to):

* Migration from python2 to python3
* Splitting of python code in order to form a separate python library
* Packaging modernization
* Misc code review
* (Perhaps) call update-alternatives as a backend instead of parsing
alternatives files by hand

The package description is:
 A GUI to help the system administrator to choose what program
 should provide a given service.
 .
 This is a graphical front-end to the update-alternatives
 program shipped with dpkg.

[1] https://chinese.alioth.debian.org
[2] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/galternatives/
[3] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/collab-maint/galternatives.git