[cut-team] Ideas for the rolling release

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Aug 16 11:28:43 UTC 2010

On 16/08/10 at 11:14 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> >  - I agree with Lucas, the snapshot should be date-based: maybe the year
> >    and then an increment: CUT 10.1, CUT 10.2. Or CUT 2010/1, CUT 2010/2.
> >    Or something like this.
>
> I have no strong opinion here, but TBH, I favor Anthony's suggestion to
> merge with our regular release number scheme for consistency reasons.

I don't see why it is more consistent, especially in the "snapshotting
rolling" case. Let's say that we release a cut snapshot of rolling one
day before Debian "n" is released. Should we version it "(n-1).x" ? But
then it would have more recent software than version "n.0"! Or "n.1"?
but "n.0" would not have been released yet!

Since cuts and stable release evolve in orthogonal universes, I don't
think that it make sense to try to merge their versioning schemes.

- Lucas