[cut-team] Snapshots

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Mon Aug 30 16:36:09 UTC 2010

Anthony Towns wrote:
> Hmm. Another question -- if we're building d-i images for a squeeze
> snapshot, what happens for the official squeeze images? Do we do a
> hard base-freeze, then upload d-i images especially build for squeeze?
> Or do we just pull in the latest d-i images from either
> squeeze-snapshot or sid? (I'm not sure what's currently done here) Do
> we want the squeeze-snapshot images to get put in dists/squeeze?
> Presumably not if they pull from a snapshot, though we could use
> symlinks to make that ok at release time...

We'll need to stay out of the way of the current (and future) d-i
images, which are uploaded and copied into testing as part of the d-i
betas currently, and always install squeeze. There will probably be
another such d-i beta fairly soon, since squeeze is frozen.

(There is possibly some duplicate work here, since d-i beta releases
have been unofficially doing a lot of what CUT snapshots would do,
although without the snapshot part. Even if d-i eventually stopped
making coordinated beta releases in favor of CUT, we'd want to keep d-i
images in squeeze that install squeeze.)

> > Such a CD would happily upgrade the base system to testing over the net,
> > and proceed to install tasks from testing.
>
> Yup, but if you're going from a snapshot and have a CD, there's no
> need to grab stuff off the net too. Unless, you know, you got a
> minimal CD or only CD#1 or similar. But maybe if you're installing
> from the net, ending up with testing proper is an ok outcome.

People have lots of reasons to not use full-size CDs, and even the
fullsize CD will pull new packages from the network if they are
available, so unless the installation process involves disconnecting the
network cable, we need a custom build of d-i to go with a snapshot.

--
see shy jo