[cut-team] CUT discussion summary for -project@

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Sep 5 09:44:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 02:24:27PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I tried to summarize below the various proposals made on the list in a
> form suitable for a mail to -project at . I did my best to represently the
> different views, but I'm obviously a bit biased. Please review. I plan
> to send this to -project@ on friday unless it is obvious by then that it
> needs more work.

Heya, sorry for the delay and my idleness. I've been generally lurking
discussions here though.

Regarding the poll part, I must admit I'm with joeyh. In particular, I
fear it's too early to have a poll like the one Lucas proposed. The
reason is that, even if it's not a vote, it will then be difficult to
ignore the result of the poll. I'm surely not saying that we should
ignore what others think of this, but we should give priority to the
work plan that people willing to do the work prefer (i.e. people on this
list, I hope). It would be quite pointless to have a work plan voted
upon by others, if that goes against the interest of those willing to do
the work. As usual: who do the work get to choose how to do it.

( The underlying assumption is one of minimal invasiveness wrt the work
of other teams, which AFAICT is respected by all proposed policies. )

Personally, I'm way more on the "rolling" side of the poll that on its
"snapshot" side, as I agree that only taking snapshots won't be
particularly attractive for users wrt other offerings in the distro
"market".

All in all, at this stage of development, I consider important starting
to have something visible, without committing too much on a specific
policy. The implementation plan proposed by aj seems quite neutral: as
it is observed at the beginning of that document, it can be easily
changed to follow "rolling" instead of "testing". If there are more
important technical commitments made by that plan, I confess I don't see
them; please correct me if I'm missing something.

My main perplexity is with advertising a suite called "snapshot" form
day-1, as it is a name that already conveys the idea of a "dumb"
snapshot, a concept that can stick around in people minds. I propose to
call the visible suite "rolling" since the very beginning. After all,
even "dumb" periodic snapshots are "rolling", it is only their frequency
which is (way) more coarse grained ...

All that notwithstanding, I think it's important to send a summary (but
not a poll) on -project of the various possible policies, inviting
interested people to join this list for discussing them. The entry
barrier of subscribing to a new list is high enough to get only
motivated people pop-up here, IMO.

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams