[cut-team] snapshot frequency

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Thu Sep 9 18:03:59 UTC 2010

So, Aj's proposal suggests an upgrade frequency for cut snapshots of 3
to 6 months. That felt sort of right to me because when I was managing
d-i releases, 3 to 6 months was about how frequently we were able to do
it.

But, what if a new cut snapshot were made every month, say on the first
Saturday of the month? For one thing, this would make the security situation
significantly better for users who only continued to use the snapshots +
testing-security repo. It would mean more work creating the snapshots and CD
images on a monthly basis, but much less work dealing with tracking security
problems and getting fixes to users via testing-security. And the latter kind
of work is not automatable, while the former kind of work could be
pregressively automated, though it would always need humans in the loop.

A sticking point might be d-i, or the general release quality of testing
at a point in time. d-i tends to keep the previous alpha/beta's udebs in
testing until the new one is ready, so there's a reasonable chance it
will work; so it's not as if this requires a new d-i release every
month. I suppose if testing was in particularly bad shape at the start
of a given month we might have to defer, or skip a cut.

--
see shy jo