[cut-team] lightweight rolling alternative

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Thu Sep 9 18:18:21 UTC 2010

Well, there's no chromium-browser in testing, and that may be the case
for X months until release. Ugh. So this made me think some more about
the rolling idea(s) and how they would avoid stable release management
degrading the constant usability of testing. Which is cool, if someone
makes rolling happen.

But here's another way to deal with the problem that seems easier to
implement and explain. What if instead of a separate full-fledged
rolling suite, we had a backport-like repository, tied to a specific cut
snapshot, that contained packages that were misssing from testing at the
time the snapshot was made. It could also hold newer versions of
packages, though we'd want some policy about that. If we had that now,
we could either rescue chromium-browser 5 from the morgue and put it in
there, or we could backport chromium-browser 6 from unstable to there.

Looking at http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/attic/sources_in_unstable_but_not_in_testing_by_popcon_max.cgi
the only other package that leaps out at me that would absolutely need
to be in such a suite right now is flashplugin-nonfree.

This could be implemented in a day by any of us, no ftp-master
involvement needed. We could just put the apt repo on cut.debian.net.
Like backports was, it could be folded into Debian proper eventually.

--
see shy jo