[cut-team] CUT discussion summary for -project@

Drake Diedrich dld at google.com
Thu Sep 9 23:59:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Don Armstrong <don at donarmstrong.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010, Joey Hess wrote:
>> I wonder if the _HHMMSS in the suite name is really needed. If we
>> need 2 cuts in the same day, we're surely doing something wrong? For
>> that matter, we could simplify the YYYYMMDD to YYMM if it seemed to
>> make sense with whatever release frequency develops.
>
> It'd probably be useful to have some accepted versioning system to
> number a recut if for some reason the first cut was bad; hopefully
> we'd never have to do it, but having it specified would avoid having
> assumptions everwhere which made this very difficult. [Or maybe this
> should be some system of point releases of a particular cut? Not
> totally certain.]
>

> Don Armstrong

I was using numbers for snapshots that were permanent, and
alphanumeric names for symlinks to them (which could then change).  So
sid/101 will always mean the 102nd snapshot of sid (since I flushed
that repository anyway).

eg.

Never change:
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/101 main
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/133 main

Change at every upstream SVN commit:
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/foswiki foswiki-trunk/latest main

Change daily with mirror pull:
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/latest main
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian unstable/latest main

Change less frequently, when certain criteria (EDOS analysis) are met:
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/better main
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/better.0 main
deb http://debmarshal.debian.net/debian sid/best main