[cut-team] CUT Implemented in 8 Lines of Shell

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Tue Sep 14 13:09:44 UTC 2010

On 14/09/10 at 09:46 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Attached is a "CUT" implementation in 8 lines of shell.  After bundling
> > this file into a udeb and generating an installer image, the result is
> > a "constantly usable" iso that installs the 20100912 version of squeeze
> > from snapshot.debian.org [0]. It does this by leveraging the "constant
> > usability" of the stable installer, and then springboarding into the
> > testing snapshot.
>
> What are you trying to prove?
>
> How are you going to provide btrfs support in your stable installer?
>
> We want to build something that bring the latest and greatest of Debian
> to users eager of using it, and you want to convince us to not do it.
> But you should know that you don't get to dictate how other spend their
> time...

Raphael, I don't see why your reply is so aggressive.

I like Michael's experiment, and actually wonder whether it would be
possible to improve snapshots.d.o (with a set of caches, for example) to
provide the same thing as testing snapshots. (I fear that Peter
Palfrader might kill us if we advocate this way of installing
snapshots).

Note that a similar experiment would not be impossible to do based on a
d-i snapshot from testing, and would allow users to install using all
the latest stuff from the installer, so even your objection is void.

- Lucas