[cut-team] CUT Implemented in 8 Lines of Shell

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:01:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:46:23 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Attached is a "CUT" implementation in 8 lines of shell.  After bundling
> > this file into a udeb and generating an installer image, the result is
> > a "constantly usable" iso that installs the 20100912 version of squeeze
> > from snapshot.debian.org [0]. It does this by leveraging the "constant
> > usability" of the stable installer, and then springboarding into the
> > testing snapshot.
>
> What are you trying to prove?

I've demonstrated that a CUT implementation is possible using existing
infrastructure.  No proofs, lets leave that to the mathematicians :)

> How are you going to provide btrfs support in your stable installer?

Like I've said before, my interest is in providing something for users
that wants a system that "just works".  This kind of user doesn't know
what btrfs is, and would be confused if it were even mentioned.

Users that like new/experimental features can always attempt an install
with the in-development testing d-i.  My approach makes no effort to
address prevent them from doing that.

> We want to build something that bring the latest and greatest of Debian
> to users eager of using it, and you want to convince us to not do it.

No, by all means, please continue with testing d-i development.  There
are plenty of users that want that.  However, there are also lots of
users that want something that "just works" and they're currently left
out in the cold.

> But you should know that you don't get to dictate how other spend their
> time...

I don't think I've told anyone what to do with their time, but if my
discussion was interpreted that way, I apologize. That was not my
intent.

Best wishes,
Mike