[cut-team] Where do we go from here?

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:04:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:48:24 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I also feel that something like that addresses the same problem with
> less work, I previously suggested something similar:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/cut-team/2010-September/000092.html
>
> It doesn't address the problem of testing falling out of date during a
> freeze. I think that is the main thing that people interested in rolling
> really want to deal with.

Actually, I think that can be addressed by "testing-backports". During
the freeze, anyone that wants to backport a newer version of an unstable
package to testing can do so by providing it in testing-backports.

Also, testing-backports could be transitioned to stables-backports at
release so there will already be fresher backports there, which
addresses the out-of-dateness complaint that often comes up.

> With that said, I think it'd be ok to start
> out providing CUT to users while testing is frozen -- it will mean less
> work is involved at first.

Which part of CUT do you mean here?  I think we need to start calling
things by more precise names to make it clear which part of CUT is
being discussed.

Best wishes,
Mike