[cut-team] Where do we go from here?

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:28:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:13:20 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Which part of CUT do you mean here?
>
> I mean "constantly usable testing"; all of it.

Is there any consensus for solutions to the individual components yet?

So the two core problems again are:

    1.  The provided testing installation media is often broken, missing
        functionality, and at times unable to install testing itself.

    2.  Packages are sometimes temporarily unavailable in testing.

Here would be my approach to address #1:

    0. Set up a mirror network for snapshot.d.o
    a. Choose a snapshot date from snapshot.d.o
    b. Build installer media using that same snapshot date for the apt
       sources
    c. Optionally provide a springboard that launches into testing
       instead of the snapshot

And based on Joey's thoughts for #2:

    a. Create a "testing-backports" repository on cut.debian.net
    b. Start uploading some packages like chromium and flashplugin

Is that it?  It seems rather straightforward.

Best wishes,
Mike