[cut-team] On getting cut/rolling officially supported...

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Sep 27 22:49:40 UTC 2010

On 27/09/10 at 17:04 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while discussing rolling with Roland Mas (on IRC), he pointed out
> that he's not ready to support his fusionforge package in rolling
> and/or in between CUT snapshots. While he deals with bug reports
> on the sid version, he does so only in a way to ensure good upgrades from
> stable to stable and usually leaves bugs open for quite a long time
> before attending to them. He just ensures that bugs are fixed
> before the next stable release.
>
> This is a workflow that might not be representative of a large part of the
> packages, but it goes towards the principle that testing is supported by
> the developers.
>
> He suggests that if we want to announce rolling/cut as being
> "supported/endorsed", we need to have an opt-in system.
>
> I wonder if we should not have a GR of principle on the idea
> that we want to create a "rolling" distribution with regular snapshots
> and that packages maintainers will have a way to opt-out if nobody is
> willing to support the package in the new distributions.

I think that the plan should be:
1/ start experimenting with rolling and advertise it as an experiment
   that might very well be cancelled
2/ figure out the details, including the support "policy"

If some maintainers feel that they don't care about rolling, I don't
think that it's a problem. We already have lots of maintainers ignoring
lots of bugs :-)
At some point, it would be great to have official endorsement by the
project, but we can work on that later.

- Lucas