[D-community-discuss] Sugestion for a new mailing list

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Tue Aug 21 12:03:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 20 August 2007 15:03, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> A debian-offtopic at lists.d.o list has been requested by me (#425439) and
> Martin "Joey" Schulze (#427218), but nothing has happened yet. Maybe the
> project could start one and migrate later to lists.d.o if it attracts
> sufficient interest.
>
> I think this could also be an opportunity to attract some very valuable
> subscribers from debian-user. If you read d-u you might remember the big
> discussion around offtopic posts a few months ago. As a result the
> offtopic discussions have dropped to almost zero. This is not a bad
> thing considering the high volume of d-u, but IMHO it's missing the
> community spirit and this is what we are trying to promote, isn't it? ;)

I'd agree that we could technically easily host that mailinglist as part of
the d-community project on alioth, but I wonder whats the debian listmasters
final decision is on this, as I dont think it's wise to create this
mailinglist on alioth now and then move it to lists.debian.org in a short
timeframe.

So, debian-listmasters, what's your stance?

FWIW, I support the idea of such a mailinglist, even if I wont subscribe. And,
as I understand it, this mailinglist should be about offtopic stuff, but this
doesnt mean it should be used for flaming or other behaviour which is against
the code of conduct for the debian mailinglists.

regards,
	Holger