[D-community-discuss] machine administration / email setup

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Sat Mar 3 16:04:51 CET 2007

Hi,

I plan to administrate the machine with a team. Therefore I plan to use
another svn-repository on alioth, but within the d-community alioth project.
(Readable for all, writeable for some.) - See appendix A for info on the svn
setup.

I'd say by next weekend the dedicated machine should be setup rudimentarly,
that means, at least hosting the webpage as it is now.

Regarding email-setup, I have the following thoughts, feedback very welcome :)

- email is expensive in cpu-load because of spam-filtering, so getting an
email-address needs to be more "difficult" than to get on planets

- just using a .forward file wont work, because this would cause forwarding
spam and we would end up in spam blacklists etc.

- so people need to be able to poll emails from us. an imap-server needs more
cpu and disk-io, so we will (at least in the beginning) only provide pop3,
maybe pop3s, maybe only encrypted authentication.

- smtp after pop

- some, not to heavy, spam and virus filtering.

- the email setup is on the todo-list after setting up the machine, the CMS,
the design, the planets & defining the procedures. But this todo-list is
certainly not linear, but can be worked on in parallel (at least partly).

regards,
	Holger

appendix A :-)

<person1> h01ger: in debian-kde we just have 1 subversion archive, but many
people do only have write-access to parts of it.
<h01ger> person1, how did you implement it? additional groups?
<person1> h01ger: well... I actually don't fully know how it was setup.
<person1> but I know how to add/remove people ;)
<person1> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/scripts/svn-hooks/?rev=0&sc=0 - I
guess it is the two commit-access files  -  they are placed
in /svn/pkg-kde/svn-hooks (or whatever)
<person2> seems to be a pre-commit hook
<person1>
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/scripts/svn-hooks/pre-commit?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
<person1> seems person2 is right ,)
<person2> yeah, looking at /svn/pkg-kde/hooks/commit-access-control.cfg :)

(anonymized as I'm too lazy atm to ask if its ok to forward this here...)