[D-community-discuss] current status / plan update

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 17:07:44 CET 2007

Hello Holger.

Holger Levsen wrote:
> [...]
> The slides are at
> http://layer-acht.org/slides/20070225-debian-community.org-prelaunch.odp
> and .pdf

The slides give a good rationale for Debian-community ie
 * contribute something to Debian without having to be a Debian Developer
 * international - multi-language.

Some ideas about how Debian users can contribute:
 * polish Stable
 * improve documentation
 * produce video tutorials

You can add ideas from previous posts:
 * help aimed at newbies - perhaps a list or a forum
 * documentation aimed at newbies
 * a searchable knowledge base in the form of a directory
 * a Debian starter pack (Live-CD/install disc(s)) and instructions

I think the priority must be to firm up this list of ideas and then see
what might be the best vehicle to deliver them. For example:
 * D-community as a single, integrated project?
 * D-community as an umbrella organisation with different, but linked,
subprojects?
 * Does it need CVS/SVN?
 * Does it need a wiki?
 * Does it need a CMS?
 * Does it need a forum?
 * Does it need mailing lists?

> [...]
>
> Roughly I came to the conclusion, that debian-community.org should have a NM
> (new member) process :-) (But, it should not take as long as in Debian,
> rather the opposite, maybe it can show, that NM doesnt have to be long and
> bureucratic..)
>
> The steps could be:
>
> 0. Use Debian
> 1. Signup for debian-community.org, that is, create your own wiki page, where
> you track your contributions

I am not sure that individual wiki pages are the best way to do this.
You probably need to maintain this information centrally.

> 2. If you have contributed, you can get on planet.CC.d-c.org

I don't really understand what you mean by "planet".

> 3. If you have contributed more, you can get an email address.

I don't quite see the advantage of this. You really need an existing
email address when joining in order to authenticate. A new email address
would have to be set up with email forwarding to the existing email
address. I suppose that it would be useful for communiction direct from
the website. Perhaps for someone who did not want to publish their
existing address because of email harvesting.

--
Chris.