[D-community-discuss] choosing the right CMS

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 00:43:48 CET 2007

Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Chris Lale <chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:
>> > - no dynamic pages. After a page is changed, all pages (which need
>> to be
>> > recreated) are recreated.
>>
>> With MediaWiki there is no need to recreate any page. A page is only
>> ever created once and the contents is never lost - even in an attack.
>> All future edits are stored as diffs. Is this what you mean by dynamic?
>
> No, dynamic as in 'must execute PHP script for every page'. ikiwiki
> generates static HTML when the wiki is modified, so it's much easier
> on the server.

I see that this would be good. I think that the flip side might be that
most hosting services offer PHP and MySQL, but it is harder to find
somewhere where you have enough server access to link Perl CGI with SVN,
viewcvs, etc. On the other hand, Alioth does not like wikis so a CGI
solution might be a good way forward.

--
Chris.