[D-community-discuss] choosing the right CMS

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Tue Mar 6 18:25:29 CET 2007

Hi,

most things stripped, as they were already solved or commented on.

On Monday 05 March 2007 18:43, Chris Lale wrote:
> The main problem with any
> wiki is not so much security as _spam_.

Right. I expect we will need to fight that :)

> This is a revision control link is a useful feature if you are going to
> be developing software or Debian-doc/Linux-doc type documentation. (Have
> you got ikiwiki "history working"? I have not been successful yet.)

It's also useful for texts or policies about debian-community.org itself and
the contributors pages. Basically revision control is good for everything (it
should just be hidden from the user (workflow) :)

> > - it's a young (still small) and active project.
> MediaWiki is a mature (and large) and active project!

Yes :)

> Perhaps it would be possible to run a separate ikiwiki for each language
> and have inter-wiki links? (This is an approach used by MediaWiki.)

Yes, maybe. I want to tackle this problem later and concentrate on first
things first. (And yes, ikiwiki supports interwiki-links.)

> I think the choice of wiki software depends on the _purpose_ of the wiki.

I'd say we will have many purposes...

> If the purpose is to develop documentation, MediaWiki has these useful
> features:
>  * produces  TOC  automatically.
>  * produces  optional numbered headings automatically.
>  * No need for CamelCase when creating links.
>  * Allows namespaces.

what do you mean by that?

>  * Allows links to individual section, not just pages.
>  * Allows transclusion of atomic nodes - could be a single word or a
> whole section - into pages.
>  * Allows inclusion of graphics eg screenshots.
>  * Allows subpages
>  * Allows classification of pages into categories so that you can have
> category views (eg for level of difficulty, particular distribution,
> type of installation (eg desktop, mail server, webserver), etc.
>  * has good internal search (title and text).
>
> It also has features that make it accessible and easier to manage a
> large wiki:
>  * Editor toolbar
>  * anti-spam features and spam blacklisting
>  * email notification
>  * multilanguage support
>  * third-party plugins ("extensions")
>  * RSS feeds
>  * utf8-support

That's quite a good list. I'll try to let someone who knows ikiwiki comment on
it.

> I wonder whether the choice of software would be easier when the
> objectives of the project and the purpose of the wiki are clearer?

*nods*

But to work on that, I'd like to have a wiki soon, to collect ideas and work
on them ;)

regards,
	Holger