[D-community-discuss] choosing the right CMS

Stephen stephen.d.allen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:55:10 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:25:29PM +0100 or thereabouts, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> most things stripped, as they were already solved or commented on.
>
> On Monday 05 March 2007 18:43, Chris Lale wrote:
> > The main problem with any
> > wiki is not so much security as _spam_.
>
> Right. I expect we will need to fight that :)

Hi jumping in here. Holger and I had discussed this off list over the
past few weeks, before I was invited to participate here.

Actually this is the greatest weakness of Wikis. While the idea is good,
I don't think Wikis are the way to present information for the kind of
content we're expecting to do.

Am I wrong about this website being more for FAQs on how to do something
technical on Debian, for newbies ?

Why then wouldn't we consider a framework that already been invented,
expressly for this purpose ?

I'm thinking of PHPMyFAQ;

	Project description:

	phpMyFAQ is a multilingual, completely database-driven FAQ
	system. It support various database systems and it also offers a
	content management system with a WYSIWYG editor, an image
	manager, flexible multi-user support, a news system, user
	tracking, language modules, templates, extensive XML support,
	PDF support, DocBook XML support, a backup system, and an easy
	to use installation script.

The fact that is does many languages out of the box is a prime criteria
and also the fact that it quite easy to output to other formats <ie>
Docbook, PDF etc.

I really don't think one should want *anyone* to be able to add content
to this project -- This will enable the spammers, and the volunteers
will spend most of their time clearing spam then in writing content for
newbies. Kind of defeats the whole purpose, no ?

Anyway more on PHPMyFAQ can be found here (It's a relatively mature
project, having been around for 3 years and it's actively updated);
<http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpmyfaq/>

--
Regards
Stephen A.

Encrypted/Signed e-mail accepted (GPG or PGP) -- Key ID: 978BA045
	My dear People.
	My dear Bagginses and Boffins, and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks,
and Grubbs, and Chubbs, and Burrowses, and Hornblowers, and Bolgers,
Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses and Proudfoots.  Also my good
Sackville Bagginses that I welcome back at last to Bag End.  Today is my
one hundred and eleventh birthday: I am eleventy-one today!"
		-- J. R. R. Tolkien