[D-community-discuss] current status / plan update

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 12:04:38 CET 2007

Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 19:59, Chris Lale wrote:
>
>> Yes - That's sensible. Don't duplicate effort! At present though, I am
>> not aware of any list for Debian newbies.
>>

> Let's create one and see if it works out? Can you create mailinglists at
> berliOS (within the newbiedoc project)?

Yes, I could create a mailing list. I think that it would be better to
wait until there is a core of people willing to monitor it and provide
guidance. At present, this function is served by the "Questions" section
on NewbieDOC. There is not much traffic.

>  Or are webforums better suited for
> newbies anyway?

Well, this is a good question. In the UK computer press, the success of
Ubuntu has been put down to the strong community. Their forum
(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/) has these sections:

    Absolute beginner talk
    News and announcements
    Main support categories
    Other support categories
    Third-party projects
    Community discussions
    Ubunto LoCo teams

Using this as a model, perhaps a D-c forum that includes a newbie
section would be the way forward?

Quite a lot of forum software includes email notification of replies
which would be a very useful feature. It overcomes the problem that in a
busy forum you can quickly lose sight of your entry and its replies. So
you have the advantage of immediate replies (as in a mailing list) and
easy webpage navigation of the conversation without the need for a
suitable email client. Also, if you are not submitting a question, you
can read the forum instantly without having to go through the rather
tortuous list sign-up procedure or the equally tortuous navigation of
the archive.

--
Chris.