[D-community-discuss] current status / plan update

Eric S Erogul erogul at altern.org
Wed Mar 7 21:45:23 CET 2007

Chris Lale a écrit :
> Holger Levsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 19:59, Chris Lale wrote:
>>
>>> Yes - That's sensible. Don't duplicate effort! At present though, I am
>>> not aware of any list for Debian newbies.
>>>

>> Let's create one and see if it works out? Can you create mailinglists
>> at berliOS (within the newbiedoc project)?
>
> Yes, I could create a mailing list. I think that it would be better to
> wait until there is a core of people willing to monitor it and provide
> guidance. At present, this function is served by the "Questions" section
> on NewbieDOC. There is not much traffic.
>
>>  Or are webforums better suited for newbies anyway?
>>

> Well, this is a good question. In the UK computer press, the success of
> Ubuntu has been put down to the strong community. Their forum
> (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/) has these sections:
>
>    Absolute beginner talk
>    News and announcements
>    Main support categories
>    Other support categories
>    Third-party projects
>    Community discussions
>    Ubunto LoCo teams
>
> Using this as a model, perhaps a D-c forum that includes a newbie
> section would be the way forward?
>
> Quite a lot of forum software includes email notification of replies
> which would be a very useful feature. It overcomes the problem that in a
> busy forum you can quickly lose sight of your entry and its replies. So
> you have the advantage of immediate replies (as in a mailing list) and
> easy webpage navigation of the conversation without the need for a
> suitable email client. Also, if you are not submitting a question, you
> can read the forum instantly without having to go through the rather
> tortuous list sign-up procedure or the equally tortuous navigation of
> the archive.

Sorry to jump in :) . But as I keep on reading your technical
explanations I must admit that I'm on the newbie side here (thought I
was more advanced!).
So my 2 cents are that it will be easier for complete newbies to read a
forum. For those, like me, not so technically advanced and willing to
help both (forum and ML) seem equal. The point of the ease of read seems
important for me.