[D-community-discuss] An idea on helping new people report bugs

Holger Levsen debian at layer-acht.org
Thu Sep 20 08:22:57 UTC 2007

Hola,

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 12:13, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> First of all, I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself,

Yup. IMO we should get mail and planets working first ;-) But then, we are
volunteers, so work on what you like :)

> I just think
> it's better to put these ideas out in the open as they pop into my
> head so they don't die away with my horrible memory.

Definitly.

> Holger kindly pointed out reportbug-ng to me, which is very similar to
> what I had in my head, with a few significant differences;

The author is qiute responsive and happy about suggestions and feature
requests.

> Making users install a program and making them learn how to use it
> will probably loose half the bug reports just out of laziness.

True. OTOT, developer time is limited and going thru "not so brilliant"
bugreports can take time.

Also, proxying bug reports also has severe drawbacks: it's slower and more
importantly, information get's lost and is harder to ask.

> I'm still lacking a lot of information on how Debian works in many
> aspects (working on that)

Feel free to ask...

> , so if it seems like I'm ignoring some
> previous discussions about the subject, I'm not, I just haven't bumped
> into it, so feel free to point me to to the right place.

There also has been discussion about allowing or rather pushing bugreports in
other lanaguages than english (as most of our users aren't native english
speakers..), which also has the "proxying bug reports" problem...

regards,
	Holger