[D-community-offtopic] A Debian -offtopic mailing list: to be or not to be

Andrei Popescu andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:48:47 UTC 2011

On Ma, 01 mar 11, 19:59:25, Chris Jones wrote:

> > That shouldn't be a problem, the list is setup as close as possible[1]
> > to debian-user: posting open, no reply-to munging, etc. so all you
> > would need to do to move a discussion is reply-to-all and replace d-u
> > with d-OT.
>
> Well, I did just that about two hours ago.. hit ‘g’ reply-to-group,
> which is the closest to reply-all I could find.. and changed d-u to
> d-ot.. and all I got was something in my inbox to the effect that my
> message was undeliverable.. So depending on your mailer, I'm skeptical
> things are that simple.

My cristal ball says you have a mutt alias or hook that fills in the
correct address for you (or something like that), but it doesn't work
for d-community-offtopic at lists.alioth.debian.org (don't forget the
'alioth' part).

> In any case.. even if the above had worked.. it would only have posted
> my particular post to d-OT.. what about the previous OT messages that
> were initially posted to D-U and would be essential :-) to anyone
> catching up understanding what I am talking about..? And how does it
> guarantee that whoever takes a fancy to the OT thread while reading
> debian-user would post to debian-OT.. rather than follow the simplest
> course of action and post to debian-user..?

And to my initial instructions, you might want to leave d-u in for the
*first* post[1], so that people from d-u who are interested know that
the discussion was moved[2].

[1] please do set Reply-To: and/or Mail-Followup-to: to
d-community-offtopic at l.a.d.o in such cases

[2] one can argue that this is not necessary or even harmful for d-u,
since people interested in OT discussions would already be subscribed to
d-OT, but on the other hand it might help to point out to other posters
in the thread to stop posting to d-u in other sub-threads.

Regards,
Andrei