[D-community-offtopic] A Little Cacophony of Sounds [Long-ish]

David hewho7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:55:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:51:27PM +0100, godo wrote:
> On 2011-03-04 21:19, Freeman wrote:
> >(Possibly an exaggeration.)
> >
> >However I have never had a laptop make sounds I didn't understand.  And, if
> >the harddrive began making extra noises, I knew to devote all remaining
> >session time to updating backups.
> >
> >But my Inspiron 1721 makes weird noises.
> >
> >1. Mystery Beep
>
> Does it sound like bios beep?
>
> Maybe have some power problems.
>
> Can you check are cables and connectors inside laptop loose?
> I'm notice that sometimes just a gentle push without hearing any
> click or feel it can fix things.
>
> Is it power adapter functional? Can you measure power with
> multimeter and twist around jack that entering in laptop?

Thanks Goran.

That sounds really close.

These Dells have given me awful problems with power supplies.  I've owned 5
Dell laptops, and replaced 4 PA-10 and PA-12 power supplies.  Currently I am
minus one power supply, running at reduced capacity on another and only have
one fully functional power supply.

So that will equal 6 replacement power supplies over 5 notebooks, if my
remaining good power supply stays at 100%.

I will check cables when I next get time to open it.

--
Regards,
Freeman