[D-community-offtopic] Freedombox: Can they really be secured?

Memnon Anon gegendosenfleisch at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:30:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

This freedombox endevour sounds interesting, I really like the idea.
However, there is one thing I don't get.

The freedombox is envisioned as something that can be run by anyone.
Moglen compared it to the Phone Answering Machine: Plug it in and it
just runs, no expert knowledge required to configure it.

OTOH, it is supposed to run several services "at home", probably 24/7.

I don't run a server, but I read that securing one is not an
easy task. This freedombox would need to be secure by default, without
any need to wade through logs etc.

Is this really possible?

Moglen somewhat mockingly asked in one of his talks something like:
"Who could run his own webserver? It's impossible, right?" and the
audience was well amused.
Well, I may be able to set one up, but according to what I read on the
web, I probably shouldn't, because I am not able to secure it properly.

Could someone more knowledgable than me shed some light on this?