[D-community-offtopic] 40,000 List Spams Daily

Charles Kroeger charles.kroeger at gmx.com
Mon May 2 19:45:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011 11:03:30 -0700
David <hewho7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reading about spam on the debian lists.
>
> Became curious if anyone knows what kind of hours and resources go
> into maintaining spam blocking filters and whatnot.
>
> I imagine that spammers are constantly changing techniques and
> technology to circumvent filters and that active lists are under
> constant assault.

Gmail kills a lot of spam I guess you noticed. Another good webmail
service that does this is gmx.com. I see you're using mutt with
spamassassin. That is good but very ponderous and slow compared to
bsfilter.  You have my compliments for figuring out mutt. I use the
Debian package 'bsfilter' with a plugin for claws-mail called
bogofilter. That works very satisfactorily on all accounts on that
client.  I used to use spamassassin, but it too was like mutt. In fact
spamassassin is still on my computer, but deactivated.

Hey, why don't you write an understandable HOWTO for mutt? It can be
your life's work.

--
CK