Guess who might be stopping by for dinner?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Jun 11 14:31:42 UTC 2014

On 6/11/14, D wrote:
> On 06/10/2014 09:41 PM, Zenaan wrote:
>>> What is even more humorous is that several of the brightest users there
>>> could not browse our list. One was using lynx. Those are the REAL geeks,
>>> using command line totally. They'll fit in nicely once they figure it
>>> out.
>> Awww, feeling loved already :)
>> I picked up my little command line, gave her a pat and said I wouldn't be
>> able to ride her for a little while. That foxy ice bird has always been
>> beckoning me ... I just feel so ... dirty..
>>
>> Any counselors around these parts?
>
> Sure, what's your problem?

Um. Hi everyone.

Um. My name's Zenaan, and ... I um ...

[Go on, go on!]
[Spit it out!]
[You'll be right mate, it was our first time too once!]

I ... this is really hard ..

anyway .. I've been indulging in ... sorry ... in speaking my mind on
the Debian offtopic mailing list.
<ghasp ... breath ... sniffle>

Oh.

Thanks guys.

This means so much to me... I've been holding it in for so long.
Haven't told anyone. Every night of the week it's been like, hanging
on my keyboard, seeking for any little bit of acknowledgement, even
giving up on praise and just hoping for sarcastic comments ...
anything.

And I've been strong ... I haven't posted now, to
d-community-offtopic at lists.alioth.debian.org , for at least ... um, 27
hours!
<applause/>

And, well, I guess you've all been through it ... when the list
moderator comes in and threatened closure of the entire offtopic
mailing list. The whole Debian community was about to be closed (as we
all knew it) because of some comment about something I can't even
remember. Oh that's right - Ralph there in the back row [G'day mate!],
yeah, well it's hard to believe in hindsight, but he actually went so
far as to point out a troll; he even kept it benign and said (and I
quote) "This is not the real Jerry - check the headers" (or words
pretty close to that).

We should have known it was coming. Me of all people, and Ralph too.
Closure of the offtopic mailing list. This kind of behaviour -
pointing out trolls ... speaking our minds <sniffle> just can't be
tolerated I know.

Sure enough, the moderator threatened closure of the offtopic list. On
the list, so everyone could see it.

<seriously, this is actually a true story, I just can't remember
Ralph's exact quote and am too lazy to look it up, but it was benign
and did nothing more than point out a troll for others who weren't
familiar with the real 'Jerry'>

It really gutted me. And I'm sure a few others.

<back to normal mode/>

~:-D

:)

So there you have it. My prediction that the Debian COC would lead to
a neo-cons reduction of sanity happened a couple of years quicker than
I thought. But frankly I think that's a bloody good thing! Without the
_real_ problems being highlighted, "most people" seem to completely
fail to see the real problem, even when spelled out in clear terms on
their lists by more than one person <more punishment expected to be
forthcoming/>.

Rock on folks :)
Zenaan