many opinions on censorship/moderation etc

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Mar 16 02:40:20 UTC 2014

Please note, some of my opinions are strongly held.

Please also note, I encourage and support everyone to express their
opinions, even those contrary to my own of course.

I hope no-one gets scared off by my written vehemence. I think there
is an important discussion to be had and my intention is to express my
own position and to begin a discussion, not to argue against others'
opinions.

Some quoting with permission (in general I will leave it to others to
copy or post their own opinions or etc, it is too much work for me
right now):

On 3/12/14, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 3/12/14, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mi, 12 mar 14, 01:25:47, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>> -- OFFLIST --
>
>> If you prefer. Feel free to quote me on anything I write below though.

>>> My intention is to start a discussion around censorship of our
>>> debian-user (and other) mailing lists, and also around exercising our
>>> authority - we are the subscribers, and it's up to us to say and
>>> demand and have whether we want, or do not want, censorship, and/ or
>>> clandestine censorship, and/ or individual-post or whole-user
>>> censorship etc.
>>
>> I disagree with you here. -user as well as all other mailing lists on
>> lists.debian.org and lists.alioth.debian.org "belong" to the Debian
>> Project. They are run using Debian resources (hardware, listmasters,
>> etc.) and exist for the benefit of the Debian Project.
>>
>> Even if lists like -user are primarily subscribed by non-Debian members,
>> this doesn't mean they (we) "own" the list and I believe the Debian
>> Project is entirely within its rights to restrict access to this
>> resource (temporary or permanently) to certain individuals in case it
>> believes those individuals may bring harm to the goals of Debian and the
>> community built around it.
>>
>> If you don't agree with the above I'd be very interested in you opinion
>> about what the Debian Project should do about occurrences such as:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg00350.html
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg00462.html
>
> Mr Natural Linux, Arnold Bird, etc. Interesting - thank you for those
> links. At the very least those would need to be included to explain
> why censorship is proposed and/ or is in place.
>
>> And if you don't believe these can be actively harmful see for example
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg00466.html
>
> This is the reaction to the above of course. Again, thank you for those
> links.

Warning, the following analogy by me has created at least one reaction
which I consider was not optimal for the discussion:

> What we are seeing is a microcosm, in Debian, of the greater societal
> 'problems' and I am referring to things like:
> *) the type of torture at Abu Graib of "terrorists" (because some
> military or FBI or NSA guy said they're terrorists) - this is like the
> highly objectionable call to torture in the first two links you gave,
> and
> *) the 'anti-terror' laws in response (like the msg00466.html link
> above) - where the NSA (listmasters) does clandestine spying on all
> citizens (list subscribers), with again, behind-closed doors
> censorship (you are now in jail, we say you have no right to speak
> about it, you have no right to a lawyer, if you're family talks about
> you in jail we will put them in jail too) - the highly objectionable
> call to amass power into the hands of a "common sense" few

Here I wish to show without naming anyone, that I got a strong
opposition to my use of the NSA analogy, and again, I support the
right of everyone to express their opinion - note I have NOT received
consent to name the author or this quote:
> What *I* see is a terrorist who doesn't like the way his compatriots are
> being treated.  Trying to equate the Debian lists to the NSA and FBI is
> only trying to incite a riot.
>
> The bottom line is - the list is owned by Debian, and Debian has the
> right to accept or reject anything they wish.  If you don't like it,
> find another list or create your own.
>
> You have just lost one potential supporter here.

So please note that my words can sometimes be taken offensively, and I
view this as quite possibly sub-optimal communication on my part.
Anyway, let's NOT debate the pros and cons of analogies, but rather
the issues at hand.

> [...]
>

>> Project Leader <leader at debian.org> (even though they are not Delegates
>> as I thought -- good thing I checked before spreading misinformation) or
>> the Project at large (debian-private at lists.debian.org for sensitive
>> issues, debian-project at lists.debian.org for issues that can/should be
>> public).
>
> And if the DPL is a bit too busy, and/or considers that the particular
> post by Ralph (hypothetical :) ) is "borderline" and decides she just
> doesn't have time to write a report and intervene to fix the "non
> problem"?
>
> The wheels of "justice"?
>
> NO. Thank. You.
>
>> However, I strongly recommend you read the discussions on -project and
>> -vote about the new Code of Conduct. In there you'll also find
>> discussions about mailing lists bans and how these are or should be
>> handled. As far as I understand the rough consensus so far is:
>>
>> - person banned is informed (reason and duration)
>
> That must be foundational. I would be amazed if current debian
> government decided something other than this.
>
> Perhaps there ought be a declaration of rights?:
>  - list subscribers have no right to vote regarding list censorship
>  - DDs have right to vote regarding list censorship
>  - censored subscriber has right to speak publicly
>  - censored subscriber has right to appeal to DPL
>
> I think we are too far down a slippery slope, but at the least, the
> debian government NEEDS to be honest about the rights they are denying
> such as the first "right" I list just above, the dispositive negative
> assertion regarding subscriber (non) rights regarding list censorship
>

>> - information to -private only, for oversight and to protect the
>>   identity of the person banned (i.e. no public shaming)
>
> I think that the more foundational issues I am trying desperately to
> raise, ought be on the table of the debian govnerment (DDs/DPL), such
> as the franchise (voting rights) of debian users, regarding their
> email lists such as debian-user.
>
> Because it is clear that DDs, Tech Ctte and Listmasters have the power
> and the franchise, the future abusers of power (such as the abhorrent
> Maas Verri) will become Listmaster first!
>

>>> Right now I'm just wondering if you have some feedback on the email
>>> itself, not on the issue of censorship (that will be the public
>>> discussion).
>>
>> It will probably start a huge flame-war on -user with no real benefit,
>> please don't do it.
>
> I think you are right about that.
>
> I think a few thoughtful individuals is much more useful - I know good
> from evil and I know I am with a good conscience. To deny me my
> franchise, as a subscriber to debian-user, is a loss for the project!
>
> I speak similarly for you and others. I speak in the first person to
> highlight the issues.
>

> -----
> Now, Andrei, I still have not answered your question, I know...

In case reader is lost here, Andrei asked me what to actually do about
'very offensive' posts/communication. I don't yet have any sort of
clear answer. 'The price of freedom is eternal vigilance' - we must
not give up our freedoms easily.

> It is not an easy one.
>
> From a very real perspective I say that this particular troll (and I
> firmly believe the recent set are all the same person) is very very
> useful for us, to highlight more important issues:
>  - censorship
>  - franchise
>  - duty of care
>  - granting of power
>  - controlling abuse of power
>  - punishing abuse of power
>

> So Maas Verri abused his power to speak publicly. Should he be
> punished? Should he be censored?
>
> Is it more important to first ask ourselves, who should decide the
> answers? And how should they decide?

---------
Now another brief, and UNNAMED quote highlights the lack of awareness
of the censorship/moderation that is in fact going on:

> Sorry, I haven't seen any indication of censorship on the mailing list.
>   To do so would require a moderated list, with volunteers monitoring it
> 24/7.  I see no indication of the large number of volunteers doing so.

There may be a miscommunication between us, between the debian list
administrators and us subscribers, and/ or elsewhere.

That's all for now. Others can post their views/copy their words as
they see fit.
Regards
Zenaan