[Da-tools-discuss] branches and stuff

Mark Hymers mhy at debian.org
Thu Dec 27 13:08:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27, Dec, 2007 at 01:45:37PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert spoke thus..
> While we usually work in -common, things that need lots of testing (like
> Marks ssh changes now) should get their own branch, but that branch
> should not be around forever. Develop in it, this one feature, then
> merge it into "mainline", ie -common and remove the feature branch. All
> the history will be in -common then and if needed we can get everything
> back from that (if everything got merged).

Ok, I've pushed the -sshkeys branch to alioth.  I'll take responsibility
for making sure that it's kept up-to-date with -current until it's ready
for a merge.

> For debian merges: We should not care too much if -common is easy to
> merge from for Debian. If it really gets to a point they refuse to merge
> things from there we add debian/*-to-debian branches and merge changes
> into that branch which we want them to get. But that hasnt happened yet.

I'd rather keep the delta between -debian and -common as small as is
feasible, so I think it's best if we keep disruptive changes on their
own branch and point the -debian maintainers at them for comment before
merging to -common.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"We have three realistic alternatives: (1) Sit here and get blown up, (2)
 Stand here and get blown up, (3) Jump up and down, shout at me for not being
 able to think of anything, then get blown up."
     Holly, Red Dwarf Series III - Bodyswap