[Daca-general] scan-build and metrics gsoc proposals and DACA

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Mar 22 13:18:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:23:59AM +0100, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> I've mentioned already a few times that the current design is not
> scalable. There was not much of a design as the idea was first to take
> a look at what we could get from running some tools and then publish
> them.
[…]
> Hence my suggestion of something based on Hadoop & friends. They
> should be able to solve some of the architecture problems and just
> leave us with the issue of implementing what we want to do: whether it
> is running static analysers, dynamic analysers, data extraction or
> gathering tools, and any sort of post-processing we would need.

OK, thanks for clarifying. It's not clear to me, however, what you
currently propose as next action for all this. Are you saying that you'd
rather prefer that no further extensions to DACA current architecture
(new static analyzers, metrics, etc.) are added, and that you rather
prefer re-doing the DACA architecture based on Hadoop & co?

For what concern the Debian/Coccinelle work at IRILL, I do not think we
are going to have enough manpower to invest in redoing DACA architecture
based on Hadoop. We could either set to contribute the Coccinelle
integration if someone else is working on the architecture part; or we
could just develop something specifically for our Coccinelle need, to be
run on our own hardware, and later on work into integrating it into
DACA-next-generation; or, last option, we can contribute integration
with the current DACA architecture of what we're going to work on.
Either of this options is suboptimal, I know, but that's what we can
offer, at least in the short term.

So, if you think the DACA-next-generation architecture is going to
happen, we can collaborate on that, otherwise I fear we'll have to
choose the least bad options of the above.

What do you think?
Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack at upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o