[Daca-general] scan-build and metrics gsoc proposals and DACA

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Mar 29 14:25:40 UTC 2013

Hi Raphael, hi everyone,

[...]
> > For a lack of time, I haven't yet looked into the GSoC proposals. Yet I am also
> > facing the very same issues in my current research activities, where I'm trying
> > to run our software verification tools on all the packages in Debian.  There is
> > still quite a bit of work ahead of me until I eventually get there, but at least
> > automated builds using our own research compiler infrastructure are happening
> > (resulting in some >100 bug reports..., usertagged goto-cc).
>
> I just took a look at some of them and they seem very useful. Are
> those bug reports the result of manual verification? or more
> precisely, has there been a need of manual verification to avoid
> filing false positives or are all the issues detected known (or even
> proved) to be true positives?

This point is indeed an extremely important one, at least as far as effort is
concerned. My initial goal was along the lines of testing our own tools, and
debugging any issues arising. Therefore manual inspection was required anyhow in
most cases to figure out what the bug in our tools could be; yet after some
local bugfixing most of the remaining build failures turned out to be problems
of the packages to be built rather than our own tools. Yet I decided to remain
in that mode of by default assuming bugs in our tools, and thus kept doing
manual verification. This is a major threat to scalability, but at least
provides better value to our fellow developers for the time being, as almost all
bug reports will contain sufficient information for quickly devising a patch.

I think it would be a serious (and interesting!) research endeavour to improve
automatic diagnosis in the context of possible bugs found during compile-time
and link-time static analyses. None of this is theoretically impossible, but it
has big challenges to make it practical and actually useful.

> And is it possible that such tool will eventually be publicly available?

Oh, actually all the tools are (with the exception of local patches still being
tested). As mentioned in another part of the thread, the scripts are available
from https://github.com/tautschnig/cprover-debian and the actual tools behind
are part of the cbmc package.

[...]
> > - I'd like to investigate whether jenkins (with auto-generated jobs) could be
> >   used to take care of all the scheduling and triggering bits, plus
> >   notifications, etc. This would immediately come with the potential for scaling
> >   to build farms, as jenkins natively supports a master/slave setup.
> > - I am currently working towards acquiring hardware via the university. Once
> >   I've got some (more), I'll play with a jenkins setup. If this succeeds, I'll
> >   happily share it.
>
> Would your student be focusing on jenkins only, or would she/he
> explore alternative solutions first (at least as "related work") and
> then focus on jenkins?

He might look into jenkins, but this isn't even fixed yet. Any other suggestions
are welcome, but given that time is very limited for such a final-year project
over here, I don't expect more than 1 or 2 solutions to be experimented with for
now (but I might try other options myself).

> Yesterday I mentioned in #-irc that I don't see jenkins as a generic
> solution for all the problems at hand. Especially when focusing on
> more than just one tool; but that's just my impression, I haven't
> actually tried to do it.

[...]

Well, at least jenkins alone won't solve the problem, it will just be a tiny
puzzle piece I believe. But I'm all ears to learn about other conceivable
solutions or experience that people might have!

Best,
Michael