[Dbconfig-common-devel] pgsql issues (was Re: dbconfig-common Problems)

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Wed Aug 3 23:42:05 UTC 2005

hey andreas,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 07:45:31PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> In my suggestion to copy with this dilemma I tried to be as least
> invasive as possible by just using the list of databases and users
> to move the relevant files which should be configured to dbconfig-common
> while introducing a single line to postgresql.  If the lists are
> empty the change is in fact zero (if I'm not completely wrong.

yeah, this would be ideal.  however, can we actually do that?  i know in
pg_hba.conf you can include a list of users/databases/etc from a file on
a given line, but my understanding is that will result in a list of
users who can connect to a list of databases, as opposed to a list of
username/database pairs.

> >however, i think martin pitt has been considering making changes to the
> >default postgres configuraiton to allow passwords by default, which
> >would make this all moot.
> This would be an interesting change.

again, my familiarity with postgres is yet a bit lacking.  does
anyone know how feasible it is to have both password and ident-based
authentication enabled, and have one fail back to the other?  otherwise we
might have to settle for lobbying martin to do something like local socket
connections being ident based and remote connections being password based.

> >in the meantime, it should at least give informative error messages
> >when a method fails; perhaps it should suggest to try connecting
> >with another message when it does?
> This should be the minimum change we should do in any way.  If you
> ask me I would prefer my suggestion - but perhaps we should discuss
> this also with the posthresql people. (Do they follow this list?)

well, i'll cc martin to see what he has to say about it :)

> PS: I would prefer if SVN changes would go to a separate list because
>     I'm afraid I would miss some piece of discussion in the SVN changes
>     noise.

sorry, that last blast was my fault because i was lazy and tired and
didn't want to mess around with cvs import so i added everything
manually.  anyway, i'll see about getting another ml set up for tracking
changes, or perhaps just send it to my private mail if no one else is
really interested in tracking it.

	sean