[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: Minutes from the DebConf5 BOF?

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Thu Aug 4 03:57:15 UTC 2005

hey miguel,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:08:02PM +0200, Miguel Gea Milvaques wrote:
> > - many sites/applications, one database, from many packages.
> > - many sites/applications, many databases, from one package.
>
> And how about multiple users?

you mean multiple users per database (n:1), or multiple users for multiple
databases (1:1)?  either way, yes.

> > the second situation is a lot trickier, though i have a rough sketch for
> > how i'd like to implement it (should be backwards compatible).  but
> > first i want to see where things go with the webapps-common work before
> > i spend too much time on it to make sure it will get along with the
> > larger effort.
>
> Are you working on it? If you want we could talk about it on
> #dbconfig-common.

i haven't started the actual coding for it just yet, but i think i have
a rough idea of how it would work.  i won't have a lot of time
for another 2-3 weeks, as i have a lot to do between now and then
including my move to sweden(!).

the idea is that in addition to /etc/dbconfig-common/$package.conf,
there would be an /etc/dbconfig-common/$package.d/$id.conf where $id
is some unique identifier (like the virtualhost+directory name for web
apps).

then dbconfig-common would do basically what it does now for each of the
files in that directory.  for an app to use this feature, they would
define dbc_multidb="true".  if they previously had a normal config
file, it would be imported as the first $id.conf and the admin would
only be prompted for an id.

another tricky part would be generating unique usernames and database
names for each database.  it's possible that $dbc_dbuser+$id would be
too big for a database name, so we might have to think about something
different, like $dbc_dbuser+$rand or $dbc_dbuser+$md5sum where $md5sum
is the first few characters from an md5sum generated from $id, or $rand
is somehow seeded from $id.

i'd also like to add in support for an easy way to pre-seed the list
of id's.  for example, a webapp will gather a list of virtualhosts
for an application, which it could then pass in a variable called
dbc_multidb_idlist.

anyway, that's about all that's in my head right now.  comments welcome :)

	sean