[Dctrl-tools-devel] some thoughts

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi
Fri Nov 30 11:14:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 05:51:11PM -0500, Jon Bernard wrote:
> 	Just throwing out an idea, after looking at the debian
> 	directory, I thought it might be easier to use CDBS. I think the
> 	source tree is pretty straight forward and targets can be
> 	overridden as necessary. It seems like librules.mk duplicates
> 	alot of this. I could be wrong, what are you thoughts? I've got
> 	a preliminary build working with CDBS, I've still got some work
> 	to get the langs building correctly, but the complexity of
> 	debian/rules would be reduced substantially.

As long as you're prepared to take the lead in maintaining the CDBS
stuff, I have no objection.  I'll just note that librules.mk predates
CDBS (or at least its public release) by a number of years, so I hope I
may be excused for that duplication :)

> 	Also, I've been working on #264907. I still have a ways to go
> 	before I'm comfortable with the code, but if you have an
> 	preconceived ideas about how this should be implemented, send
> 	them my way.

I have no preconceived ideas there, just some ways I might start to go
about it (which might then prove useless, or not).

It would make sense to refactor the printing stuff out of the tools
and into the libs, and I think I'll want to do that eventually.  But
that's independent of this feature request.

> I think that's all for now, hope things are going well.

I've been busier than I expected, sorry :)

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä, Finland
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/