[Dctrl-tools-devel] String freeze schedule?

David Prévot david at tilapin.org
Wed Dec 7 14:25:16 UTC 2011

Le 07/12/2011 05:32, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 07:31:31PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
>> Antti-Juhani, I would be please to send a call for translation update
>> (around 10 days) before the next upload, can you please keep me updated
>> about the next timeline, and when you believe no more change would be
>> done in the English strings of the program (and manual pages)?
>
> My usual practice has been to declare a string freeze about two months before
> the announced Debian freeze, and to solicit translations at that time.

As you noted, it may not be the best approach (well, it would be messy
for translators to update everything they handle at Debian freeze time
too ;-).

> Of course, a third option is to get translations up to date for every
> upload to unstable, but I didn't want to bother translators that much.

If it's OK with you, I'm pretty sure that most translators prefer to
have a chance to keep their translations up to date, so sending the
usual call for translation before every upload will be appreciated in
most (if not all) cases, and if all translators can't always follow the
dctrl-tools release cycle, they can still prepare the update at their
rhythm, in the hope it will be included with the following upload.

I can assure you that we (in i18n) would love to see more “call for
translation update” than ”intend to NMU” mails on debian-i18n at l.d.o ;-).

Regards

David