Welcome to deb-usability-list

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 02:03:05 +0200

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

Hello,

nice to see you again and thanks for joining the list!

At the moment we're just 6 subscribed people, I hope more people will
get in soon.

There's a discussion about the scope of this subproject going on in
debian-devel, and I'm trying to see if there's enough interest to start
an official Debian subproject.  In a couple of days I'll post a summary
of the debian-devel discussion here.  In the meantime, all my next mails
in debian-devel on this topic will be Cc-ed to this list.

As promised, I'm posting the notes took at the LCA BOF.  It will
probably be wise to post them one more time as soon as more people comes
in.

=46rom what happens in debian-devel, there definitely is interest.

It remains to be seen if it needs to be channeled to some more focused,
but still not much popular environment or if people prefers to stay
among all the noise of debian-devel, but not risk missing any potential
contribution.

Yours truly,

Enrico

------------------------------

 * Debian Usability BOF

Topics:

 - Package selection
    - "Flavours" or "Subsets" as a subset of the Debian Universe
       - Something with a well defined user community
       - It is a distribution, with its own installer (both of which are su=
bset
	 or a specialization of Debian)
       - Consists of:
	  - A set of packages to start with
	  - A set of packages priorities/recommendations
	  - A set of debconf defaults
       - Solve some usability problems
       - Examples: desktop, education, ham radio
       - Different sets of defaults
       - Infrastructure
	  - Technical infrastructure does not need to change
	  - Need policy updates
	  - "Flavour builder application"
       - Automated configuration
       - Different sets of package priorities
       - Allow people to define their own flavours
       - Do we need to release Debian or Debian Flavours?
       - Possible quick, dirty, bad hack:
	  - dpkg --{get,set}-selections
	  - infer user "profile" from the current set of installed packages
    - Package metadata
       - Flavour-specific data, package sections, package priorities, packa=
ge
	 selection and other user-related data should not be in packages, but
	 in external sources
       - Package sections
	  - More than one section per package
       - Different instances of package descriptions ("general", "technical=
")
       - Supported mime-types
	  -
 - Usability bug reports
    - Gimp should mention Photoshop in the description
    - Need policy on how to file usability bugs
    - What is usability?
       -=20
    - Usability for Debian
       - Core tools
       - Operating environment
       - Productisation
       - Integration
    - What a usability bug report is (and why it may be hard to recognize i=
t)
       - Users that keep making the same mistake could outline a problem wi=
th
	 documentation
    - Can Debian fill a role of collector and filter for usability bugs for=
 upstream? =20
    - Usability tutors?  Debian Complaint desk?  (can be handled by the des=
ktop
      group?)
    - Do we need a "usability" tag in the BTS?	How we define it?
      "usability-upstream" tag?
 - Hardware detection
    - dexter (?)
 - Installer / updater
    -
 - Mailing list
    - Ok?
    - Name: debian-usability@lists.debian.org
    - Getting it opened: will try in dinner and (in case of failure) tomorr=
ow

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--