metapackages

Marcus Moeller Marcus Moeller" <m.moeller@fh-meschede.de
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:08:28 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janusz S. Bieņ" <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl>
To: <metadistros-en@listas.hispalinux.es>;
<deb-usability-list@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 5:04 AM
Subject: metapackages

> Hi!
>
> Let me first introduce myself.
>
> I am a computer scientist and a linguist. I use Debian since several
> years, since a year on a new computer. Even with a help of my
> colleagues I am unable to configure Debian by hand to fully use my
> hardware. On the other hand, Knoppix recognizes my hardware almost
> ideally but is missing some packages which are important for me. So I
> am about to switch to Knoppix based installation and to modify
> it. After reaching a relatively stable situation I intend to remaster
> Knoppix and to provide it to my students which have similar needs as
> myself.

Have you ever tried miniwoody. I have added hardware autodetection during
setup.

 berliOS:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/miniwoody/

Download Mirror:
ftp://ftp.lazzurs.net/

I personally donīt like the way of using live-cdīs to setup a system.
Actually there is even no good installer available for things like that.
knxhdinstall is not very usefull.

> I have a lot of ideas how to make Debian more usable :-) However, in
> this letter I would like to make just two points.
>
> First, I think metadistros is the right way to go.
>
> Secondly, I would like raise a terminological question: what is a
> metapackage?

A meta package is a package that depends on other packages but does nothing
itself.

Marcus