Announcing Debian Package Tags

Matt Zimmerman mdz@debian.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:47:35 -0400

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:30:54PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> 2) Do you forsee tags being maintained outside of the packages in the
> future?  For developing the tag system this makes sense, but it seems to
> me that maintainers should have more direct control over this somehow.

I think that the same model used for section and priority is most sensible.
Maintainers can include this information in their packages, but it can be
added or overridden by a central authority.  That way, this information can
be added to most packages much more quickly and efficiently than filing
bugs, and a notification can be sent to the maintainer when they upload a
package for which the tags are overridden.

--
 - mdz