Tag types - reorganizing all tags - task force

David Roundy droundy@abridgegame.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 18:41:43 -0400

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 10:20:35PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> Do you have some other suggestions how to call these
> "descriptions of (ideally) atomic properties"?

Properties, perhaps? As in, the package X has the ui:gnome property, the
editor property, etc.  I think it works in most sentences I can think of to
use to describe a "tag", which seems good.  The only think I'd be afraid of
is that there is either another use for the term "property", or another
interpretation of the term "property" that I haven't thought of.  It
doesn't imply that they are atomic, but does imply that they are not just a
word associated with the package.  E.g. it seems to me that the property
"orange" of a package would either mean the package is orange-colored or
orange-flavored (or perhaps related to my hometown...), but not just
associated with the word "orange".

Another downside of the term 'property' would be that people wouldn't
necesarily realize that it is a technical term, and might expect something
like the dependencies of a package to be among its properties.  But I guess
maybe that's more of an issue of how the user interacts with the
properties...
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/