Tag types - reorganizing all tags - task force

Sven Luther sven.luther@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 6 May 2003 13:18:41 +0200

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:54:22AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:06:53AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> >
> > "property" doesn't work, because the description is also a property, as
> > are the dependencies, the version number...
> > So the attached tags are a property, too.
>
> Yeah, that's the downside of the "property idea".
>
> > We probably could use the term "quality":
> > 1.    The condition of being of such and such a sort as
> >       distinguished from others; nature or character relatively
> >       considered, as of goods; character; sort; rank.
> > But: ...
>
> Yeah, I agree that quality has too may other meanings.  In particular,
> probably the most common usage of quality is to describe how good something
> is...
>
> > I dislike using such a generic term. "Tag" kind of implies that someone
> > has attached them, so they are subjective. I like that.
>
> The problem with tag (although I'm not sure I can come up with anyting
> better than tag) is that it not only implies that someone attached them,
> but requires that the user know that someone has attached them.  The term
> tag doesn't imply at all that the tag describes some aspect of the package.
>
> Maybe categories (again, there may be an existing, conflicting usage of

I would vote for this one. Notice also that earlier threads on this
subject spoke about package categories, and that many others use the
categories (like scientific papers and such).

Also i guess it is much easily translatable as tags.

Friendly,

Sven Luther