Some related work!

Erich Schubert erich@debian.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:55:52 +0100

Hi,

> I've found some related work: it's called Faceted Classification of
> Information:

So we have another candidate for the "tags vs. categories vs. labels vs.
aspects vs. whatever" discussion: facets... ;-)
debfacets? ;-)

> Can't wait to graduate (hopefully, on march, 25) to dig on that.

I wish you'll have success in your tests.

> It seems like a big topic.  If someone, after march, would like to build
> a team and apply for some research fundings, there seem to be juice
> enough for filling an application or two.

That sounds great. Maybe i could talk to the computer linguists here,
they might also be interested in this topic. (especially the information
retrieval group, http://www.cis.uni-muenchen.de/projects/irgroup.html)
They are connected the programming and modeling languages group i'm
currently involved in (which works a lot with XML and other
semistructured data)

We are doing queries on XML by patterns (xcerpt.org) and i think these
topics do nicely blend together. We might need similar index structures,
and theres currently a proposal for a Diploma thesis or project thesis
for investigating such index strucutres.

As far as i can remember from a presentation from them, they are
decomposing concepts into logic formulas for navigation. Sorry i
couldn't find the link to their web experiments.
you could refine terms such as Art (which itself might be composed of
other terms) by limiting it for example to a certain century and such.
It looked basically like a navigation among multiple trees connected to
a net (or lets better say along a DAG), so it is quite different from
what we are doing with debtags

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
          There are only 10 types of people in the world:           //\