Faceted tags

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Mon, 17 May 2004 17:20:23 -0300

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 06:56:32PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> > Ummm... A daemon can have an interface - For example, editing the
> > configuration and sending a HUP can still be seen as an
> > interface. Some daemons can offer an interface to change some
> This is what we consider a daemon interface, yes.
> Heck a webserver certainly has some kind of interface, hasn't it?
> But using services or functions of an application is something different
> from the application interface itself.
> I can do "cat file > /dev/audio", so does cat have an audio interface???

In case of a daemon with a GUI interface, also, multiple taggings could
happen: nothing forbids of tagging both interface::daemon and
interface::gui, if the package ships both the daemon and the GUI
interface.

> So tagging apache as server application is fine, isn't it?
> Tagging is about where you would search for it.
> A real home-use-only-webserver could of course put into desktop.
> For example nullsmtpd. wwwoffle maybe should have both ::desktop and
> ::server - it makes sense to be used on a desktop system, but also on a
> home network server.
> Maybe we should make these more detailed:
> ::corporate-desktop
> ::home-desktop
> ::workgroup-server
> ::internet-server

I suggest that we leave this kind of categorization to Custom Debian
Distributions: if someone makesa CDD for home desktop, then can make a
debian-home::* facet/namespace listing their point of view on the
packages.  The cool thing about CDDs it that they can afford to be
target-user-specific, so we can very well delegate target-user-specific
categorization to them.

Ciao,

Enrico