Where to send tag patches?

Benjamin Mesing bensmail@gmx.net
Wed, 19 May 2004 20:19:14 +0200

Hello,

I am really curios about your program. I'll be away around the weekend
but will try it next week. It seems to incorporate many of the aspects I
address with my application - but having another focus. So I'm really
keen on seeing how you've done it.

> The program is simple: you can search packages by maintainer, name,
> fulltext à la apt-cache search and tags; select a package among the ones
> found; see the full package data; edit tags.  As a bonus, you can also
> see the related packages.
Sounds promising, it seems to include every functionality offered by my
application.

> BTW, in the meantime I'm considering splitting the backend search code
> from debtags-edit into a libdebtags library which can wrap libtagcoll
> and libapt-pkg and provide debian-specific tagged collection functions,
> including vocabulary management.  This was planned for a long time, and
> it seems it may be the right time for it to happen.
This sounds great. I will think about my needs during the weekend, even
though they should nearly match the ones for your program. And there
should be some people who would benefit from such a library (synaptic,
installers, ...). So it should be thought through to provide a powerfull
and easy to use API for libtagcoll and the cumbersome apt library.
There is a nice UML Editor called umbrello - it is still not completely
stable but I've come to like it. Perhaps this could help to discuss the
issue.

Greetings Ben