Tags and facets

Benjamin Mesing bensmail@gmx.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 16:32:48 +0200

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the nature of the facets. At the current
state the packages are tagged using tags of the following form:
"facet::tag". After resolving the implications they have the following
tagset {"facet", "facet::tag"}. So in this way facets behave like tags,
even though no package should be tagged with a facet (at least this is
what I thought). My application makes use of this and allows to select
facets as tags.
The question is if this might change in the future, perhaps it will be
decided to throw away implications at all, or dismiss implying the
parent facet by a tag. In my opinion it might be usefull to still allow
this kind of access. E.g. if a user want anything related around mail -
perhaps he even do not know about pop, imap or anything else - he can
still select the tag mail.

Correction: I've noticed that some packages are tagged with a facet
without having any of the tags in the facets. This contradicts with the
discussion I had with Enrico who stated that facets were not considered
to be used as tags - even though I would have liked this.

Note: I've noticed that the facet mail contains no tag like
mail::client. This is something which might confuse an ordinary user who
wants to search an email client and will than scan through this section
and will find nothing of use. In fact I had to search for "mail" in the
tagsset until I found media::mail.

I'm curious about your thougts.

Btw. I really like the Debtags Editor even though the UI is not what I
would call Eye Candy ;-)
Especially the "Installed/Not installed" is a feature I'm keen on
stealing. Now I'm waiting for the Email submit option which Enrico
promised, so I can start tagging all the lovely programs I do not want
to miss.

Greetings Ben